Monday, March 7, 2011

My Religion is Part of Me

For the past month, I have had a portion of this blog post as a note in my phone. One night as I lay trying to sleep in bed, I couldn't get the thought out of my head. So in an attempt to quiet the thoughts, I pulled out my IPhone and typed a note...it ended up being a fairly long note. Since that day, Feb 5, I have toyed with the idea of posting it on my blog. Truth is, it is a combination of personal feelings and challenges that I would love others to take. In the end, today, I feel that for me not to post it, makes me feel in a way as if I am denying my testimony. Because of the many reassurances I have had recently, I do not feel like I can do that. 


Before I post that portion though, I want to make a little preface. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormons as we are commonly called. I was raised my whole life in the church and never for even a minute doubted what I had been taught. I didn't always make the decisions that I should have to reflect it, but I never doubted the truthfulness of my religion. I never stepped up for myself and questioned it either. It was just always true. To this day, I still have not yet doubted, and I never will. However, I have taken the time, especially over the last 6 months to really explore my gospel and really gain a true conviction for what I believed. In the past 6 months, I have read through the Book of Mormon 2 times.  Most recently I read it in the course of 2 months. Jan 6 to March 6. While reading the Book of Mormon, I also studied the Institute Manual that our church published. (you can read about that here). As a companion to that, I studied the Doctrines of the Gospel Manual, which goes into a little more depth on the different doctrines of the gospel. (Go Figure, i know). After both of those readings of the Book Of Mormon, I prayed. I asked my Father in Heaven to help me really know that the book is true. I didn't want to just believe it, I wanted to know it. So I asked and I was fortunate to find that answer come quickly in both cases. I know, without any doubt in my mind or heart, that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith was a true prophet who saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and through them brought forth the Book of Mormon and restored the Gospel. Knowing those things, makes everything else true. 


So on now with my note from that night in February. 


I have had people tell me in the past that the gospel I belelieve in is a lie, that Joseph Smith was a kid who made up a story and told a bunch of lies.  I have had people tell me they have no interest to hear what I have to say about my gospel. I have had people shun me after I gave them a Book of Mormon. Heck, I even had someone de-friend me on facebook because I gave them one.

The thing is, my gospel is me. I am who I am because of the gospel in my life. Elder Bruce R McConkie once shared a talk on the atonement of Jesus Christ. At the end of that talk he said that in the coming days he would meet his savior and feel the nail prints in his hands and feet. He then said "But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."


The truth is I know that he is my Savior. And I feel the same way Elder Bruce R McConkie did. When my day comes to meet my Savior I will know Him as such no better than I know now. Sure, I may have a greater understanding of His gospel but I already know that there is no other way for salvation than through him.

In Alma we are taught about planting seeds and nourishing them and experimenting on them. So I wonder have you ever asked about the truthfulness of "the Mormon" church? Have you ever read the Book of Mormon with an open heart and then asked if it was true? Would you be willing to put it to the test? I would challenge you to read the book of Mormon and do so with a sincere heart and an open mind and then ask if it is true. Moroni (Moroni 10:3-5) promises you as do I that you will receive an answer. If you believe in the power of prayer than you have to believe that God will answer your prayer. If you ask him willing to listen to his answer not just your Mind I know that you will come to find that the book of Mormon is true. If the Book of Mormon is truethan Joseph smith was telling the truth. If he was telling the truth than the entire gospel he restored to this earth must be true.

So why not put it to the test. Don't rely on what others havetold you. Trust in what the lord will tell you. It's amazing what he is willing to share if we just ask him!



So that is the end of what I wrote that night in my note. But to add to that, as I was finishing the Book of Mormon yesterday, I read this quote as part of my study

• Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles commented on Moroni’s promise of having “real intent”: “Moroni did not promise a manifestation of the Holy Ghost to those who seek to know the truth of the Book of Mormon for hypothetical or academic reasons, even if they ‘ask with a sincere heart.’ The promise of Moroni is for those who are committed in their hearts to act upon the manifestation if it is received. Prayers based on any other reason have no promise because they are not made ‘with real intent’” (Pure in Heart [1988], 19–20).


You can't expect to get an answer if you are just going to write it off anyway. You have to have the intent and willingness to act upon what you are given. Are you willing to truly find out for yourself and then make the necessary changes if you find it to be true?  Because that is where the difference lies. You can read the Book of Mormon everyday the rest of your life, but if you are only reading it to find fault then you will never find truth. 


I didn't get to go to Church yesterday because Collin was sick. So I didn't get to bear my testimony at church as is the opportunity that we have at church on the first Sunday of each month. But i want you all to know, that I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know that it is only through him that we are saved. By His grace, after all we can do, we can be saved. I know that same Gospel that Christ organized while He was on the Earth, as described in the Bible exists today in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. Test it and you will too.  


If you have any questions for me you can email me...or comment here...or search on LDS.org or Mormon.org, both sites have lots of answers that you can search through. (I'll even arrange for you to get a free copy of The Book of Mormon, just send me your address.)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hey Jaidi,

I just want to say thank you for posting this. I don't even blog or anything and I have been having the same thought over the last month that I should share my testimony through a note on facebook or something - like you, not in an effort to "push" other people into being my religion, but just to explain how it is a such a big part of me and to explain why. I have great respect for you and I know how hard it must be to do this when people may take it the wrong way, even to the point where you have been de-friended on facebook. Know that you have many people supporting you and that are inspired by you!

Love, Heidi