Saturday, March 12, 2011

Favorites

In February of 2008, I wrote THIS blog post. It is about The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. You can read the whole blog post. It really is a great book and you should read about it and then go find a copy and read it yourself. As I was rummaging through some files on my computer, I found the post that I had made that day. As I read through it, I came to the middle of the post and again, realized one of the things that stood out strongest when I read the book. 


“Now I know why the Lord took his day off on Sunday. That must be the day he personally greets his favorites.”


5 years ago today, on a bright Sunday morning, my family and I stood around the bedside of the greatest woman I know, my mother. And on that Sunday morning, the Lord must have met one of His favorites. I can't imagine another reason she could be taken. But what a beautiful sentiment. I followed the quote with the following:



And with that, the tears fell and I thought back to the day mom died, the Sunday morning nearly two years ago. “Now I know why the Lord took his day off on Sunday. That must be the day he personally greets his favorites.” In my mind, Mom had to be one of his favorites. Why else would he take her? I do not deny that we are all his favorites, but it is a sweet thought that maybe the Lord was standing there to personally greet her, one of his favorites, as she left her family on earth, for her family in Heaven.

And with that, mother, I love you. I miss you. You are my hero. And one day, I hope that I can be even half of the woman that you were. I know you watch over me. I have felt you near me. I long for the day when I can hug you again. The past 5 years have been difficult, more so than anything I could have ever imagined. But I treasure our memories, and I share them with my children. Even my little Collin can identify you from a picture. And Jaicie says it would be the best present ever if you could be at her birthday. My children love you and they know you. And I will always make sure that they do. 

I love you mom and someday I will see you again. 

Shirlene Thornock Pierce 
May 25, 1951 - March 12, 2006

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hi! I found your blog through your post left on Lives of Doctor Wives. My husband attended med school in St. Louis and will be a PGY1 Neurology Resident at OU. We are originally from OKC and are absolutely thrilled to be back home. We LOVE OKC and have missed our friends and family dearly.
There is another family that will be moving here from STL for orthopedics residency at OU. Hopefully you'll get to meet them soon. They are so sweet.
Hope y'all finish out the year strong. Keep smiling!

Jenn