Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chores

I have always been one to struggle with giving my kids chores...I am not entirely sure why. It isn't like I enjoy doing them myself. But sometimes it was easier to just do it myself, then to redo it later. The girls have gotten really good at cleaning their room and even cleaning Collin's room daily...There have come quite a few days when they have specifically asked me to give them chores. Most recently Jaicie and Felicity have taken to asking me if "we can have chores and consequences if we don't do them." I decided at that point, they must be willing to actually do the chores. I gave up my control. I have to say that I am not that great at keeping the dishes done. Honestly, there are some days that I leave it for tomorrow. So my 'control' wasn't in that I wanted it done right away, or every night, or anything like that. My 'control' was int he fact that I am particular about how some things are done. Not necessarily OCD, actually far from it. I like to know where my dishes are put away. I like to have my dishwasher filled the same way. That is my control.

So last week I came up with chores for the kids. Most of them stem from the kitchen. Helping with dinner, setting the table, emptying the dishwasher and helping with the dishes. This week, the girls have taken over my kitchen. It has not been me reminding them. Each day, they have done their chores, even when they couldn't find their chore list. They are doing so great. My kitchen has not stayed so clean in a long time. I have come to realize how important it is for kids to learn to work. I grew up doing chores, and I don't know why i wasn't letting them help me.  My time in the kitchen doing dishes has drastically decreased. Each day, I spend about five minutes loading the dishwasher and working with the kids to make sure everything is done okay at least. I am giving up my control.

The girls are doing so great! I am so proud of them and how hard they are working on everything.

No comments: