Sunday, December 16, 2012

CHRISTmas

Tonight, Justin and I were able to do something really neat. Our church here in OKC had a nativity display this weekend. It was a collection of over 600 nativities loaned for the weekend. Throughout the weekend, they asked for volunteers to sit in a makeshift manger acting as Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus. Since we have such a young baby, we offered our time this evening to sit in the manger. It was a short 45 minute shift.

We were dressed for the part. Aside from the ring on my finger, the red nail polish on my fingers and toes and my glasses, we kinda fit the part.

As i sat there i got to thinking. Mary was a young bride. I held my little baby in my arms and wondered-- what would it have been like to hold your baby, knowing exactly who He was and what He would be and what His life would mean. What would it be to like to look into the sweet eyes of your tiny baby, and hold His tiny fingers. I sat there holding my perfect little boy, with Justin's hand on my back. Justin frequently had to adjust my head covering, clearly i am not adept at wearing one. I thought of how Joseph probably fretted over the seemingly little things sitting there next to Mary. I am sure he tucked her hair behind her ear as she sat there looking into the perfect little eyes of her baby. I am sure he leaned down and kissed her forehead occassionally. I am certain that as Baby Jesus fussed he leaned down and kissed the forehead of this baby who was not his, but he would raise as if he was. Knowing the pain of childbirth and recovery, i am certain he probably rubbed her back to help her feel better, i don't doubt that Baby Jesus probably fussed a little, and maybe even cried when He was hungry. I am even sure that occassionally He dirtied His linens, like Timothy did as we finished our 45 minute shift (i don't know what they would have used as diapers back then).

I realized that Jesus was a baby too, he had to grow up from infancy just like we all did. And He had a mother who loved Him and held him close. Rocked Him, fed Him and cuddled Him. She kissed Him, hugged Him and brushed away tears from His eyes.

It makes me think of the song Mary did you know (words by Mark Lowry.)

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Has come to make you new;
This Child that you delivered
Will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Has walked where Angels trod?
When you kiss your Little Baby,
You kiss the Face of God!

Oh, Mary, did you know?
Oh, Mary, did you know?

The blind will see, the deaf will hear,
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak
The praises of the lamb!

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Is Heaven's Perfect Lamb?
This sleeping Child you're holding
Is the Great I Am!


It just got me thinking...what would it be like to raise a child like Jesus...what would it be like to later have to watch Him die for all of us.

Then i thought about the fact that every child we raise is a Child of God, they may not be the Christ child. But they are a Child of God...magnificant, amazing and perfect little babies we raise and teach. We lead them to become the person they will be. Our children are all amazing...even when they drive us crazy and make mistakes...still a child of God and still potential for amazing things...lead them that way.

Merry Christmas! Remember to keep Christ in the forefront of this holiday. It is about Him and his life and what He did for us!

No comments: