Thursday, December 23, 2010

Peace and Comfort

3 months ago, I was sitting waiting for a phone call. Grandpa Pierce was dieing, we knew it was coming, and we felt at peace with his going. But it still brought a LOT of tears.

Today I sit waiting for a phone call as well. Unfortunately, it is the same kind of phone call. Grandpa T has been suffering a LOT in the past few months. Back when Grandpa P died, we thought we were going to loose Grandpa T as well. So you can imagine that it has been a difficult few months for Grandpa T. I think the general consensus is that we are at Peace with his going. He has his daughter, my mom, waiting there, who will surely invite him home and welcome him...maybe even show him around a little bit. I am at peace with his going. I have discovered that since I got the call last night that he might not make it through the night. My heart is at peace. But my mind keeps wishing that i didn't have to go through this again, so soon.

I haven't seen my Grandpa T since my baby brothers wedding last March. But I know that he has suffered a great deal. Right now, I know he is fighting really hard to wait. Grandma has been in the hospital following a hip replacement and a resulting infection. They wouldn't let her out last night to go be with Grandpa. They are supposed to let her out today. She will go directly to Grandpa, at which time I am sure it will be a matter of minutes til he passes on. He is fighting to wait. Last night I prayed my heart out that Heavenly Father would let him wait for her, let him make it the little bit of time til Grandma could come and be with him. It wouldn't have been fair to pray for him to get better and live. That wouldn't be fair to Grandpa. So instead I prayed for a little bit of time and a whole lot of peace and comfort.

Afterwards I sat pondering. At this Christmas Season, we reflect so much on the birth of Jesus Christ. Along with that though, I think there is no better time to celebrate the life and the death of Christ. Without those things, what would his birth have meant. Hit atonement made it possible to find that peace and comfort. Christ suffered pain, sorrow, death for me, so that at these times of pain and sorrow, I don't have to feel so bad. So at this time of the year, It seems that we can find comfort that much easier.

Grandpa T Lived a full life. He had 4 children, which later gave him 18 (i think i counted correctly) grandchildren. Those 18 grandchildren are now in the process of giving him many great grandchildren, whom he treasures. He fought in World War II, he was married to the love of his life for more than 50 years. He is an incredible man and I am so proud to be his granddaughter.

Regardless of the life he lived or the fact that we are at peace with his upcoming death, the tears will still be there. And I know that the call will come sometime. But I still continue to pray for peace and comfort for all of  his family, especially for Grandma. And again, I pray that Grandpa will be able to wait for her to get there.

I love you Grandpa T. Even if I can't be there to tell you myself, please know how much I love you and how much you mean to me.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh Jaidi! That is so fast. If you need me to keep the kids again, I am happy to do it again for you.