Monday, October 25, 2010

Of Things That Matter Most

Since I have been home from my trip to Vegas (See this post), I have been doing my best to better myself and my family. Last night I read through President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk from General Conference called Of Things That Matter Most  It was a marvelous talk on Focusing your life on the things that matter most. I remembered it from Conference, but felt renewed reading it again last night. I now understand why my mom loved reading the talks after conference so much!  Anyway, He speaks of 4 relationships that matter most. He says: 

"As we turn to our Heavenly Father and seek His wisdom regarding the things that matter most, we learn over and over again the importance of four key relationships: with our God, with our families, with our fellowman, and with ourselves. As we evaluate our own lives with a willing mind, we will see where we have drifted from the more excellent way. The eyes of our understanding will be opened, and we will recognize what needs to be done to purify our heart and refocus our life." (emphasis added)

Obviously those are four relationships that we should always see to it that our lives are focused on. Right now, I am doing my best to focus on my relationship with my God and my relationship with myself. I feel like I need to better myself, and then I can work to continue to better my family. I am working hard at studying my scriptures. NOt just reading to get the reading done, but studying them, by topic. I am reading conference talks and Preach My Gospel. I want to have a better grasp of the Gospel, so I have a better understanding when I try to share it with others. By bettering myself, there is not doubt in my mind that it will result in a better relationship with My God. But it will also spill into the other two relationships. I don't want to seem selfish, but I am finding that I need to focus a little bit of my time everyday on me and my life. I need to take time to step back and reflect on my relationship with God and better it in order to improve the rest of my life. President Uchtdorf, in talking about improving our relationship with God, said:

"We improve our relationship with our Heavenly Father by learning of Him, by communing with Him, by repenting of our sins, and by actively following Jesus Christ, for “no man cometh unto the Father, but by [Christ].”10 To strengthen our relationship with God, we need some meaningful time alone with Him. Quietly focusing on daily personal prayer and scripture study, always aiming to be worthy of a current temple recommend—these will be some wise investments of our time and efforts to draw closer to our Heavenly Father. Let us heed the invitation in Psalms: “Be still, and know that I am God.”

What a wonderful invitation. 

I hope that I can find the strength to improve my life. Sometimes it is a challenge. I struggle daily with my view of myself. I hate the fact that I have literally 50 pounds to loose and I hate exercising. (I Just admitted that...the 50 lbs part...shh don't tell)  But I know that I need to exercise in order to loose it. 

There are countless things in my life that I know I need to improve on: My patience with the kids, my dedication to my Father in Heaven, my motivation for everything. But as I read this talk by President Uchtdorf, this part stood out to me a lot as well. 

"The fourth key relationship is with ourselves. It may seem odd to think of having a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can’t get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long until they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better. Walk in nature, watch a sunrise, enjoy God’s creations, ponder the truths of the restored gospel, and find out what they mean for you personally. Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you—as His precious daughter or son with divine potential."

That last line especially: "Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you--as His precious daghter...with divine potential" I began to understand that I do have challenges and I do struggle with a lot, only by improving myself in all aspects--physically, emotionally, and spiritually, can I truly lessen those struggles and challenges...

I have said this so many times, and always to no success, but I am recommitting to fixing my challenges, overcoming them and seeing them for what they are: a bump in the road on the way to exaltation. 

(This was started as a part of another post, but when I discovered how long it was becomming I made it its own...Good thing huh...)

As part of my improvement, I started reading this book that my mother in law must have been inspired to give me while in Vegas. It is called Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation by Gerald N. Lund. It has been an excellent book for me. It has opened my eyes to many ways the spirit has guided my life that I haven't noticed before. But I want to use the counsel in the book, to hopefully, improve my communication with the Lord and find my way to follow the path that I am meant to be on. 

No comments: