Thursday, August 22, 2013

Joy...

*you probably don't want to read this... It could be considered a little depressing, but I needed the words out there instead of just in my head...really, I needed to map out what was in my head... It's really just randomness from Jaidi...

What is joy?  

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary: (noun) the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune, or by the prospect of possessing what one desires. A state of happiness or Felicity. a source or cause of delight. 

Synonyms: delight, great pleasure, jubilation, triumph, exultation, rejoicing, happiness, gladness, glee, exhilaration, exuberance, elation, euphoria, bliss...

The list could probably go on and on.  I think it could be summed up by happiness.  I have listened to, read, and written the words: Finding Joy in the Journey many times in the past few years.  I read over a couple posts where I talked about finding joy in the journey. Tonight I have been thinking about what I can do to find more joy in my journey.  So what is joy... 

'An emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune.'  My life is full of these things.  I should be more readily able to sit down and find joy...

So lets reflect on the little joys in my journey...

My kids all went back to school this week and absolutely love it.
Felicity seems to be better understanding the importance of reading, and maybe even enjoying it a bit.  
My husband loves his job.  He may work hard and long hours, but he truly loves what he does.
I have a small business I run and it is right where I want it to be! 
Timothy thinks the world revolves around his father.  He loves every minute of time he gets with his daddy. 
My friend invited me and another friend over for breakfast this week. It was wonderful to be with friends.
My sweet next door neighbor from Thailand (who is THE cook at Tana Thai, you should totally eat there) took Timothy and I out to lunch yesterday. 
My friend and I are going out to lunch tomorrow. 
I have a girls night out with the other Ortho Wives on Tuesday night! 
I had time to myself today and was able to have a great scripture study time.
I got dishes done today.
I went for two walks today.
I watched a friends little boy.
I have one of my grandma and grandpa Pierce's handmade and hand painted porcelain dolls (they died in '91 and '10) it was sent to me by my dads cousin and his wife, whose sister is in my ward. 

I think sometimes we can get lost in all the stuff going on in our lives that we forget to find joys in the little things. We forget to enJOY everything.  Our trials are placed in our path to teach us something.  My mom taught me that when she fought her battle with cancer... She told me "there is something I need to learn from this and I am gong to learn it before it takes me." I think she learned a lot in her final trials, and she had a lot of them in the last years of her life.  Aside from cancer and chemo, she dealt with kidney failure, heart failure, inability to walk on her own very far, doctor visits more often than i can count, hospital stays, comas (yes plural).  My mom had a really hard time the last few years of her life.  My little struggles with parenting are nothing compared to that.  But I am pretty sure my mom learned a thing or two from her battle.  I only wish I had had the opportunity to ask her what it was she learned...and what her best advise for frustrating times as a mother would be...and how she dealt with times when life seemed so hard and lonely and lost even with friends and family all around you.... I wish I could have taken the time to talk to my mom and learn more from her...cuz right about now, I feel like I didn't learn enough.  

Man now that I have typed it all out, I figured out what my problem has been... I just really want more time with my mom...I want the chance to sit down and let her teach me all the things she never got the chance too... To show me how to be who I need to be.  

So if you take nothing from this (aside from the fact that I have issues) take away the desire to spend time with your mom...she won't always be there and when she's gone, she can't come visit or call you on the phone and lift your spirits. Make sure you know and she knows that you love her..cuz maybe I didn't say it enough...

And just in case...I love you mom...I miss you terribly and I wish you were here...

No comments: