Friday, April 12, 2013

Bathroom Remodel

So there are a lot of things that will need to be done in our house between now and June 30, 2015, when Justin finishes residency and we prepare to move for Fellowship.  We have a back door to replace (frame, door, screen and all); kitchen and bathrooms to upgrade and walls to paint, carpet to replace, flooring to repair..the list really could go on and on.  We are gradually trying to tackle the list as the next 2 years passes, so that we aren't left at the point of trying to list a house and needing to make huge amounts of repairs. The first, and possible cheapest of the bunch, that we decided was to upgrade the bathroom.

Now...if we had all the money in the world (haha) and could pick and choose exactly what space we had in our little bathroom and we had decided to tear out the wall between our bathroom and master bedroom closet... I would put in THIS bathroom....
but for some reason, I tend to think that first of all... this wouldn't fit in the space available, and tearing down the wall between the bathroom and master closet would NOT be an advisable modification to our home... (why do people need closets anyway (j/k))

Okay, so I wouldn't even consider doing that if we did have all the money in the world... it just woudln't fit in this house even if I wanted it too... but regardless, I love that bathroom...okay, really just the infinity tub and the fireplace...the colors really aren't my thing.  :)

But my bathroom is about 6 feet wide and about 10 feet long... It has the standard light colored oak cabinets. and just a plain white/cream counter top. A standard Ginormous mirror on the wall and old ugly lights above that.  Somehow I can't find any pictures of the bathroom before... Oops! :) 
EDIT: I found this picture that shows a small portion of the cabinets before....
So this is the BEFORE picture... Sort of! :)
 but here are some pictures of the progress of the refinishing of the cabinets.




First coat



Second Coat

Third coat



Fourth Coat


And here are the pictures as it is gradually getting put back together:





I haven't attached the hardware, cuz Justin wants to do that, and I want to let him! And that is also the reason the doors are not attached to the cabinet.  We are adding these knobs and handles to the drawers and doors.





Once the cabinets are all put back together today I will add a picture of that too... It is so fun and exciting to be doing this.  It is a big project and I was a little hesitant to do it, simply because of Justin's schedule I knew he wouldn't be able to help much. But it was seriously a blast!  We are going to do the kids bathroom next and then eventually tackle the kitchen.  And to tell you the cost of the above changes... $40 for enough stain and
top coat to do 4 coats of finish in our bathroom (and will probably do the other bathroom as well) and 2 coats of top coat plus about enough top coat for 10 or so more.  Plus the hardware, which prices are above.  So maybe $75 total for my bathroom cabinets.  And it looks completely new and refreshed.  If you are debating doing it, let me know and I will give you my tips that I learned along the way. But really, it isn't bad at all! :) Do it, you know you want it...

:)

And just for good measure, here is another shot of the bathroom as it stands right now! :)




1 comment:

Jessica said...

It looks great Jaidi! Really great. You've been busy.